Saturday, December 12, 2015

LIFE IN FEDERAL PRISON - MY FIRST 30 DAYS



 






MY FIRST 30 DAYS AT LEWISBURG PART I

I was fortunate to be granted self-surrender status; hence I would be allowed to drive to Lewisburg with a family member.  My two oldest children insisted in making the trip with me.   I was absolutely overwhelmed by their offer due to the fact that they have had an on-going sibling feud all their lives and they just don’t see eye-to-eye on anything and very seldom spend time together.

On July 15, the day before my self-surrender date, I made dinner reservations in my favorite restaurant, The Parkside in Corona, Queens.  I have been their most avid patron since my High School years.  Again, I was pleased that my friend the Maître d’ sat us at a terrific table without waiting.  At his suggestion, we started with fresh mozzarella cheese, sweet peppers and red tomatoes, followed by Rigatoni Bolognese, Chicken Françoise and Linguini with Clams that we could all share.  A Sea Breeze for each kid, a Grey Goose Martini for me, and the mood was jovial.   Dessert consisted of Italian Cheese Cake and Tartuffe topped with Espresso Coffee. (Is there anything better than that?) Someone came over to our table to greet us, it was an old time friend whom I had not seen in over 20 years; he sold me my first condo when I was in my early twenties. We saw each other a few times for some years and then we lost contact.  We reminisced on the good old times, when youth was king…  By then, our meal had come to an end. It came time to say good-bye to some of the regulars, to the Maitre d’ and to the very well-known owner of The Parkside, and got on our way. 

Lewisburg is a straight ride from the George Washington Bridge.  I did the driving and the kids fell asleep.  After 3 hours we arrived at our first destination, The Hampton Inn, which is practically brand-new and is situated at one short mile from the camp.  By coincidence, there was a cheerleader competition taking place nearby, so my son stayed in the lobby to enjoy the view before turning in.  My daughter and I checked into our rooms and went to sleep.  The next morning I was up by 8:00 AM, took a quick shower and decided to dress in a gray T-shirt, black sweat pants and white sneakers.  I was hoping that they would let me into the camp with some of my old clothes that fit me.  After enjoying a complimentary breakfast, I filled up the tank for the kid’s trip home and started out to the camp.  It wasn’t too long before we reached a turn with a sign that read “Lewisburg Penitentiary”.  This particular road runs along the beautiful valley of Susquehanna County.  At the end, there stands the ominous building known as “The Big House”.  It is of Gothic design and looks every bit of its 80 years.  Razor-wire everywhere, Corrections Officer Towers about seven stories up.  A scary and sad sight.  As we passed the penitentiary, we came upon a second sign that read “Camp Visitors”… WOW, what a difference.  The camp resembles a modest state school/college campus. There is a main administration building where the self-surrendering takes place. We entered the Lobby and were met by a Corrections Officer (CO) who, with a pleasant approach, instructed me to bid farewell to my kids and to follow him.  When I turned to say good bye, I felt my stomach churning, my heart was pounding as if it wanted to explode out of my chest.  At that point I had reached the peak of my emotions and was no longer able to stop the tears running down my face; it was a crushing moment for all three of us. I hugged them both as though I never wanted to let go,  I assured them  that I would be fine and that they should not worry about me, begged them to take care of themselves, to drive carefully, get home safe plus some other endearments that escape my memory.   I will never be able to thank them enough for taking the time to be with me until the last minute.  Next, I followed the CO, the door closed behind me and I entered the prison world. 

We went into a room marked Receiving and Discharge. The CO was polite in his demeanor, he asked my name, age and Social Security number, and wanted to see my ID. He followed me into a dressing room, and directed me to strip -- I am now in this room, totally naked and thinking:  OMG I am really in jail!  Now what?  The CO instructed me to face the wall and crouch.  It was evident that he did not feel comfortable with this aspect of his routine; but it is the best way to ascertain that the inmate is not carrying contraband. (I had learned from some prison blogs that cavity searches if required, would be conducted only by the medical department, and that no one else will touch you.)  He promptly handed me standard issue clothing: khaki pants, a pair of boxer shorts and a white   T-shirt.  The next step was fingerprinting and taking a picture for my prison ID, (looks like and ATM card, I will expand later) I gave the CO  a list of the items I brought in with me. In addition to my ID there were my medicines, my physicians' letters and a folder with my medical history.  I asked him if contact lenses were allowed and his answer was “NO”.  As it happened, I had also brought with me one pair of prescription glasses, just in case.  The inability to wear contact lenses is a colossal misfortune for me.  The thoughts going through my mind were almost surreal:  Wearing prescription lenses will make me look like a nerd!  How will I be able to play basketball, softball?   I must also mention that I wear a size 13.5 sneaker; the prison does not issue a shoe that size, so it was a good thing that the C. O. let me keep my white sneakers.  Now it was time for a medical evaluation. The medical offices are across the hall.  So, there I am, walking in the middle of the hallway wearing my temporary prison garb, my black-rimmed glasses, new white Nike sneakers and a black watch.  I stuck out like a zebra in a dog kennel. 

Once at the doctor’s office, the nurse was also polite and pleasant, it was easy to see that she had gone through the same routine hundreds, even thousands of times. I answered her basic health questions with a simple yes or no and handed her my medical history folder. The most recent entry was the procedure known as Cyber-Knife surgery which I underwent in 2012.  She then sorted through the details of my treatment for post-prostate cancer.  The prison would provide a PSA Test every 60 days as requested by my Urologist.  I have an emerging hernia for which the nurse set up regular check-ups every 90 days to monitor its progress and to ascertain its developing trend.   Next, there were multiple forms to fill for dental cleaning and eye exams.  A basic physical exam confirmed that I am in great shape (Other than prostate cancer, an emerging hernia, black-rimmed glasses and white sneakers.  hmm…) 

When the medical evaluation was over, the nurse instructed me to wait in the hall until a CO  came to take me to where I would be issued the clothing and accessories that I would need, plus a bedroll, a pillow, etc.  He would also be assigning me my living quarters.  I waited hardly two minutes before the CO  came for me and directed me to follow him to yet another room down the hall. He showed the same courtesy and caring attitude as the previous one.  As we marched on, we passed through doors that open into the main hallway of the Administration Building where I experienced my first contact with other inmates.  By now it was 11:00 AM.  The hallway was bristling with activity and it was already half-way through lunch hour. The inmates were friendly and somehow hospitable. They knew by then that I am a “self-surrender” inmate. There were warm smiles all around and I felt somewhat relieved of my innermost apprehensions.  They would say: “It’s not that bad…”, “You will settle soon”, and the most outgoing one blurted out a “Welcome to Camp (expletive… expletive)” One of them, wanted to know if I play basketball because of my height.  It was at that instant that I told myself: “You will survive this.”   By then we were at the storage room door.  There I was issued a Khaki uniform consisting of 2 pairs of shirts,  2 pairs of pants, 6 pairs of socks, 6 pairs of boxer shorts, 4 T-shirts and one pair of steel-toed boots;  1 winter coat,  1 bathing towel (the size of a hand towel), 2 pillows with  pillow cases,  and 2 blankets.  The CO told me that these articles are the “basics” and I could supplement my wardrobe by purchasing clothing, tableware and food from the commissary.  He went onto a brief outline of the Laundry Schedule, the Chow Schedule, the Stand-Up Count schedule and some other general rules and regulations. He mentioned that the other inmates would be helpful and willing to “show me the ropes” He also told me that I would be attending an Admission and Orientation program very soon, when I would learn about the prison rules in detail.  He handed me an Inmate Handbook and instructed me to proceed to the tailor shop.    As luck would have it, the tailor turned out to be a warm and friendly guy, we engaged in a 45-minute conversation that really helped make my transition easier.  By the time my uniforms were fitted, the CO had my bunk assignment ready; I would be going to Unit 2.   We headed out of the Administration Building and entered a long pathway towards my Unit.  As we were walking, we encountered at least forty guys who immediately knew that I was a new inmate because of the clothing I was wearing and the bundle I was carrying.  Some followed us to Unit 2 where I discovered I had been assigned a lower bunker due to my prostate cancer condition and my frequent night trips to the bathroom.  A lower bunk is a privilege and I was grateful to have it.  The CO informed me that my “bunkie” (bunk partner) was at work;   I should start unpacking, make my bed and put my belongings in my locker. Not long after that my bunkie, “M”, came in and burst out laughing saying that I was a lot older than he expected and looked like either a child molester, or a financial criminal.  He walked in accompanied by his buddy, “V” who is also good-natured and who promptly told me that “M” is a “crazy joker” and a “neat freak”.  I was by then starting to realize that, not only was I going to share my bunk with a pleasant man, but that he is also well respected in the unit.  Both “M” and “V” brought in an itemized list of the stuff that can be purchased at the commissary.  They went into a long-winded explanation of what I would need initially in order to settle in and prepare myself to do some cooking and cleaning on my own, and what path I should follow in order to participate in sports activities.  “M” and “V” are serving time in prison for drug-related crimes, they are bilingual, eloquent, tough, and most importantly, extremely informative about life in jail. I could not believe what was happening… I was meeting good people in a rough environment.  We spent around an hour laughing and talking about everything, from our personal life to sports, to funny stuff that happens in camp and so on.  I was exhausted by then, excused myself, stretched out on my lower bunk, fell asleep and woke up at around 4:00 PM.  Just then the CO’s arrived at the Unit to perform the inmate count; it takes about 15 minutes to do it.  Once the count is done, the inmate is free to go to the chow-hall for dinner or to cook his own food.  Being my first night, I went to chow hall.  After 4:00 PM the inmate can wear clothing other than the issue garb.  Most wear Russell or Champion sweats, sweat pants, Russell basketball shorts, Nike or Addidas sneakers – all purchased from the commissary.  At the chow-hall, inmates wait on line to get a food tray, and then proceed to the chow area to be served whatever is on the menu for the day.  The serving consists of one entrée, with three sides, plus all-you-can-drink soda, water, or iced tea.  I would not like to comment on the food, all I can say is that one must eat to survive. 

After chow, I wondered through the camp on my own.  As incredible as it may seem, the sights are beautiful.   I stand looking ahead; my eyes are now cast on beautifully green valleys, with lines of rolling hills in the distance.  Walking around the track makes me feel as if I were in an executive retreat. Within three-quarters of a mile and as I turn a corner, I am abruptly brought back to harsh reality, there it stands: "The Big House" Soaring seven stories or higher are the guard towers, almost right on my face. UGH!!   I try to dismiss my uneasiness and continue walking.  I find myself in the middle of a regulation softball field, with manicured greens, as breathtaking as those in Yankee Stadium.  I see Bleachers, Home and Visitor’s signs, a wooden dug-out for players.  There is a viewing stand behind home plate for score-keepers and for the Commissioner.  Set farther back, I see another set of bleachers, an equipment shack with bats, gloves, balls, bases, landscaping equipment and the like.  I shoot some baskets on one of the two full-court basketball courts.  I pass the Bocce Ball courts and promise myself I will learn how to play the game.  Next to the Bocce courts is a sand volley-ball court equipped with new sand and a ladder for the Umpire.  Moving along I walk past a football field which doubles as a soccer field.   The field is lighted for night-play. A third grass field connects this area to the gym complex… OMG!!  The gym complex is like a Planet Fitness venue, there is about 7,500 sq.ft. of weights, cycle machines, cable machines, core and stretch areas, pool tables, circuit training, etc.  I notice the weights are old but well maintained.  Adjacent to the gym is another softball/football field, a one-mile track and a recreation room which is in reality a music room where some inmates are jamming on guitars.  Back to Unit 2, I find a Sony radio on top of my bunk,  “M” tells me that it is used to watch TV.  There are 3 TV’s in each TV room.  The radio is used to scan the TV for the program the inmate wants to watch.  It happens to be Tuesday night, and I am able to watch a Yankee game.  Being a sports freak, I browse the available sports stations and find the NFL Network, ESPN1, ESPN2, TBS, and TNT, plus all the regular networks like CBS, NBC, and ABC.  No HBO, only Showtime and Starz networks. WOW!! 

Finally, exhausted by the events of the day and totally spent, I go back to my bunk and fall asleep after the 10:00 PM count.

End Part 1

Gerard Canino

65502-054

USP Lewisburg Satellite Camp

P.O. Box 2000

Lewisburg PA 17837

No comments:

Post a Comment