Friday, December 11, 2015

LIFE IN FEDERAL PRISON - REPORT TO LEWISBURG



LIFE IN FEDERAL PRISON – REPORT TO LEWISBURG JULY 16, 2013



INTRODUCTION:
My mission is to write a blog that will act as sort of a beacon of light that will help alleviate the fear, anxiety, turmoil, etc.  that may overcome those individuals who are facing time in a Federal Prison Camp.  This blog is based solely on my own experience.  I plan to update it at least once and possibly twice every month. If you have recently been indicted, arrested or sentenced, I hope to enlighten you about the next step on your journey.  I will only be commenting on Federal Prison Camp life.  I know nothing about Max, Med or Low security level prisons.

When I was first indicted, I searched the internet for anything I could find on “Life in a Federal Prison Camp, and found very little information.  One of the sites I found was www.prisontalk.com, being my first try; I found it to be somewhat difficult to follow. My second attempt brought me into jonathandsoto.wordpress.com detailing day-to-day incarceration at Otisville. It was comforting to read about his experience, he helped me navigate through the hardest period of my life.  This blog became my lifeline as to what I could expect at prison camp.  I looked forward to his updates which, without question, helped me transition from a state of sheer panic to a point where I could calmly figure out my expectations of what was to come down the road for me. It is important to mention that this blog is written within the guidelines of the BOP and that I respect everyone’s privacy at camp.  Whenever a name is used, it is being done solely after asking and obtaining permission from the individual.
If you wish to write to me for specific questions, please do so at:


Gerard Canino
65502-054
FPC Montgomery
FEDERAL PRISON CAMP
MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE    
MONTGOMERY, AL  36112


POST #1
Report to Camp – July 16, 2013
By Jerry Canino
My sentencing day was in May, 2013.  My attorney prepared me to hope for the best and expect the worst.  I agreed to a plea of 97 to 108 months.  The Judge could impose a sentence of as many months as were within that time frame.  He started the proceedings by reciting my plea agreement in open court; then it was the US Attorney’s time to speak and to reiterate the government case.  My counsel spoke on my behalf, and finally it was my turn to read a statement of my genuine remorse to the Judge.  After a few short words, the Judge pronounced my sentence to be 97 months and banged his gavel.  It was over… All I could think was that my nightmare was finally over and my new journey was about to begin… My attorney had prepared me well, I was not in shock; he took me outside the courtroom, wished me good luck and advised me to make sure that I reported to the yet-to-be- advised facility promptly on July 16, 2013;  I could call his office is there was anything  I could not think of at the moment.  I left court with a dear friend, had dinner in NYC and drove home.  As it stands, the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) can send you anywhere they choose.  Normally they send you to a facility within 500 miles of your legal address.  I live in Roslyn, LI which is located in the Northeast Prison Region.  I wanted to see where I would wind up so I immediately began a searched on the BOP website ---- www.BOP.gov ---- (Of course this was the one hundredth time I had done so.) There are about 10 camps in the northeast region: Fort Dix NJ, Otisville NY, Lewisburg PA, Cumberland MD, etc. etc.  My attorney had requested that I be sent to Otisville which is the facility closest to my home.

Unable to ascertain what facility I would be sent to, I started cruising the internet looking for anything I could find related to prison life.  I found a few threads on www.prisiontalk.com ; it was very confusing and hard to follow.  Nevertheless I would strongly recommend joining them, it’s free and you may find it easier to follow than I did.

The period between my sentencing date and my reporting date on July 16, 2013 is a blur in my mind.  Trying to make sense of it now, I recall I made it a point to enjoy as much quality time with my family and friends (those who were still talking to me).  My parents who are retired and live in Florida traveled to spend a week with me in NY.  I tied-up all loose ends and did everything I could to prepare myself for my impending incarceration.  Those last two weeks went by very fast.  Since I was wearing an ankle bracelet, my curfew did not permit me to stay out till late hours in the night. (This topic will be discussed in detail in my book) I thanked all those who lent me their support and offered their personal help, informed them of my fate, gave them my new address and  proceeded to close down my social media accounts with the exception of facebook, Gerard Canino, (If you care to browse and check out my summer photos.)

Fourth of July 2013 weekend… 23 months since my indictment for bank and wire fraud to the tune of $73 Million.  I spent the weekend at a friend’s house in South Hampton.  I went boating, swimming, and capped it with a beautiful dinner given to me by the friends who still talked to me and knew I would be going away soon. I played basketball with my crew in Manhasset at Christopher Morley Park and had a tearful exit after my last game. All the heartbreak, anxiety, embarrassment, family shame, unwanted press, countless Google pages about me, etc. were now behind me.  I will not be talking about the details of my life or my case in this blog, my intention is to speak only on the ways to cope with the day-to-day life in a Federal Prison Camp.  Specific details including living with an ankle bracelet for 23 months will be presented in a fiction book called “The Loan Officer” by Jerry Canino, which will be loosely based on my personal experiences, the mortgage industry and how a federal case is developed.  As a fictional story, none of the contents will relate to real names or real places.  I am sure it will become a New York Times best seller and, who knows… even a blockbuster movie. Stay tuned!!

The day before the Fourth of July, I had received orders from the BOP to report to the Lewisburg Satellite Camp in Lewisburg, PA on July 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM.  Oh shit… Lewisburg, in the middle of nowhere.  I immediately googled the camp and found out it is called “The Big House”, it is a super max USP, and houses the most aggressive and violent federal prisoners on the east coast.  Previous residents/inmates were Al Capone and Lucky Luciano. WOW!  On the positive side, I was fortunate to be assigned to the camp adjacent to the “Big House.” I read about the camp and found it houses an average of 650 men spread over 3 units, two housing units and one RDAP-Drug Rehab unit.

I called the camp and asked what items I would be allowed to bring with me and what recreation programs were available. To my surprise, the CO who answered was pleasant.  He told me to bring a watch, prescription glasses, reading glasses, medication prescribed by a doctor and nothing else.  I learned they have a basketball league, a baseball league, a frisbee football league, a football league, a 6000 sq. ft. gym, weights, treadmills, and the like.  In addition there is a well-stocked library, yoga classes, and over 100 acres of trail to walk about. I inquired about RDAP and the CO explained that there is a program for inmates who have substance-abuse issues. Upon completion, they would see their sentence reduced by one year. 

He asked me if I would self-surrender.  When I confirmed I would, he gave me directions on how to reach the camp from the local parkway.  By the way, I also found out that self-surrender is a very fortunate way to report to the camp. If you are taken in at sentencing, then you begin a journey that starts by being locked down 23 hours in full chains and placed on various bus rides lasting for many hours, not knowing when you will arrive at your destination.  In the bus, all levels of sentencing are put together, which means that the inmate sitting next to you may very well be a murderer, a rapist, or a gang lord. Read  more on this point in future blogs
 On the afternoon of July 15, my two oldest children had dinner with me at the Parkside in Corona, Queens, NY.  Before we made our way to the parkway for the 4-hour drive to Lewisburg.  We stayed at the Hampton Inn and spent our last night together.  The next morning, after a heart-wrenching breakfast we continued down the road so I could report to camp.  They walked in with me, hugged and kissed me good-bye and I was lead away by a prison guard.

I hope I have been of some help.

Look for my next post:  “My First 30 Days in Lewisburg”












No comments:

Post a Comment